Although the “V” in HVAC–ventilation–is often overlooked, it’s just as important to the efficient operation of your HVAC system. Not only that, but your home’s ductwork can decrease your indoor air quality (IAQ).
The ductwork in your home has the important job of circulating hot and cold air to every room. If your air ducts are damaged or dirty, it can affect how well your furnace and air conditioner run. Dirty air ducts can build up a layer of dirt and debris that can actually reduce the efficiency of your HVAC system.
Ductwork can become so dirty that it causes higher energy bills, extra repairs, and dust pollution in the house. That’s why we recommend duct cleaning every 3-5 years to restore your ducts to like-new condition. Read on to learn about the many benefits of duct cleaning in Syracuse, NY.
Signs of Problematic Ductwork
If you’ve noticed any of the following in your home, it’s likely a problem with dirty ductwork.
- Strange rattling sounds coming from the air ducts
- A persistent layer of dust that reappears days after dusting
- Moldy and musty odors from the vents
- High energy bills that can’t be accounted for through usage
How Do Ducts Get Dirty?
Although they’re meant to be airtight, ductwork is prone to developing holes, leaks, and tears. The connection points between ductwork can come loose. When this happens, contaminants in your home make their way into your ductwork.
Although your HVAC system has a filter, this filter is in place to keep these contaminants from entering the HVAC system itself. The air filter has little to do with keeping your home’s air clean.
What’s In My Home’s Ductwork?
Basically, anything that can be found in your home will eventually make its way to your ductwork. Here are some common things that we find during an air duct cleaning.
- Dust and dust mites
- Pet and human dander
- Pollen and fungal spores
- Mold, mold spores, and mildew
- Rodents, insects, and their feces
How Dirty Ducts Affect Your Home and Health
Here are 3 ways that dirty and damaged ductwork negatively affects your home and health.
- Reduced HVAC efficiency: According to the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), a buildup of .04” of dirt and dust can decrease your furnace’s efficiency by up to 20%. A build-up of dirt and debris can decrease airflow.
- Allergies: Many homeowners who have had duct cleaning reported that their allergy symptoms improve once pollen, mold, and dust are removed from their air ducts.
When to Schedule Duct Cleaning
Duct cleaning isn’t something you should need every year. We recommend scheduling duct cleaning every 3-5 years. How frequently you need duct cleaning will vary depending on several factors including how many people live in your home, how many pets you have, if you have family members who suffer from allergies or respiratory illnesses, and the quality of your ductwork.
Live a happier, healthier, and more comfortable life—trust Breathe Easy of CNY Heating & Cooling for your duct cleaning in Syracuse, NY! We are consumers too! Contact us today!